Patricia M. Young, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is Executive Director, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio. Ms. Young advises the AFMC commander in managing all aspects of the command’s mission. The command employs some 80,000 people and manages $60 billion annually, executing the critical mission of warfighter support through leading-edge science and technology, cradle-to-grave life cycle weapon systems management, world-class developmental test and evaluation, and world-class depot maintenance and supply chain management. As the command’s senior civilian, Ms. Young also advises the AFMC commander on labor union relations and development of the civilian work force. Civilians make up more than 70 percent of the command -- the highest percentage among all Air Force major commands -- and AFMC employs 40 percent of the total Air Force civilians.
Ms. Young entered federal service in 1985 through the Palace Acquire Career Program with the AFMC. At AFMC, she was assigned to the Logistics Directorate and was the command representative to the Department of Defense Transportation Policy Committee.
In 1993, Ms. Young was assigned to the U.S. Transportation Command Operations and Logistics Directorate serving in various assignments to include Deputy Chief, Mobility Systems Division, and Chief, Business Center Division. She entered Senior Executive Service in 2002 as the Deputy Director of Logistics and Business Operations, and then served three years as the Deputy Director for Strategies and Policy. She served as the Deputy to the Commander at the Military Surface Deployment and Distribution Command and from there was the Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, Headquarters Air Force.
Prior to her current assignment, she was Director, Washington Headquarters Services, Washington, D.C.
1981 Bachelor of Arts, Communications, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio
1984 Master of Science, Business and Industrial relations, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio
1997 Senior Management Seminar, Western Management Development Center, Denver, Colo.
1998 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1998 Executive Development Seminar, Western Management Development Center, Denver, Colo.
2000 Financial Management, Darden Graduate School of Business Administration, University of Virginia, Charlottesville
2003 Program for Executives in Logistics and Technology, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2004 Program for Senior Managers in Government, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
2004 Systems Acquisition Management for General/Flag Officers Course, Defense Acquisition University, Fort Belvoir, Va.
2007 Defense Policy Seminar, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2008 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2009 Leadership at the Peak, Center for Creative Leadership, Colo.
1. June 1985 - July 1993, Logistics Directorate, Air Force Materiel Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
2. August 1993 - December 1996, Operations and Logistics Directorate, U.S. Transportation Command, Scott AFB, Ill.
3. January 1997 - June 1998, Deputy Chief, Mobility System Division, Operations and Logistics Directorate, USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill.
4. June 1998 - February 2000, Chief, Logistics Integration Team, Operations and Logistics Directorate, USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill.
5. February 2000 - May 2001, Deputy Division Chief, Business and Acquisition Center, Operations and Logistics Directorate, USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill.
6. May 2001 - August 2002, Chief, Business and Acquisition Center, Operations and Logistics Directorate, USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill.
7. August 2002 - December 2002, Deputy Director for Logistics and Business Operations, Operations and Logistics Directorate, USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill.
8. December 2002 - January 2005, Deputy Director for Strategies and Policy, Strategies, Plans and Policy Directorate, USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill.
9. February 2005 - June 2009, Deputy to the Commander, Military Surface Deployment and Distribution Command, USTRANSCOM, Scott AFB, Ill.
10. June 2009 - March 2015, Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics, Installations and Mission Support, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. March 2015 – April 2016, Director, Washington Headquarters Services, Washington, D.C.
12. April 2016 – present, Executive Director, AFMC, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
2001 Air Force Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2005 Joint Distinguished Civilian Service Award, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
2008 Meritorious Executive Presidential Rank Award
2009 Army Meritorious Civilian Service Award
2015 Air Force Exceptional Civilian Service Award
2016 Office of the Secretary of Defense Exceptional Civilian Service Award
2017 Distinguished Executive Presidential Rank Award
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
National Defense Transportation Association
Air Force Association
(Current as of August 2018)